BMW launched the M 1000 RR, its supersport motorcycle focused on the tracks, based on the S 1000 RR model. It arrives with a more powerful, lighter engine and even with aerodynamic ‘wings’.
BMW’s ‘M’ line refers to ‘Motosport’, the brand’s racing division, with development, especially, of cars. The M 1000 RR is BMW Motorrad’s first ‘M’ model based on the S 1000 RR, available worldwide.
With engine improvements, the M 1000 RR is capable of generating up to 212 HP of maximum power (against 207 HP of the S 1000 RR). In addition, the maximum speed rose to 15,100 rpm, with peak power at 14,500 rpm and torque (11.5 kgfm / 115 Nm) at 11,000 rpm.
With the use of more elements in carbon fiber and titanium, the gross weight dropped to just 192 kg (against 197 kg of the ‘standard’ S 1000 RR). In addition, the model uses the new BMW M Endurance diamond chain, which does not need to be lubricated or tensioned.
Finally, with the adoption of aerodynamic ‘wings’ in the front side fairings and a higher bubble, it was possible to obtain more contact with the asphalt, both in acceleration and in braking and in curves, allowing to reduce lap times, but maintaining the top speed.
Highlights of the new BMW M 1000 RR
- M RR four-cylinder engine based on the RR engine for racing sport. Even more peak power, higher torque in the medium range and 500 rpm more maximum speed.
- Power of 212 HP at 14,500 rpm and, therefore, 5 HP more than in the S 1000 RR. Maximum torque of 11.5 kgfm / 115 Nm at 11,000 rpm.
- New 2-ring forged piston 12 g lighter, adapted combustion chamber and compression increased to 13.5. In addition, slimmer and lighter rocker arms.
- Fully machined intake ports with new duct geometry and BMW ShiftCam technology to vary valve control and lift times.
- Exhaust side titanium valves with new set of springs, narrower and 6% lighter rockers and optimized camshafts.
- Very light and compact engine block with longer titanium connecting rods and 85 g lighter from Pankl for reduced friction power and less weight.
- Anti-hopping clutch without self-reinforcing for optimum Launch Control.
- Optimised differentiated intake system with shorter intake funnels for optimised gas exchange at high rotational speeds.
- New, 3,657 g lighter exhaust system with exhaust manifold, front silencer and rear silencer made of titanium.
- M winglets and high windscreen: Braking later and accelerating earlier and more stability when cornering thanks to the aerodynamic downforce without any reduction in maximum speed.
- “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Race” and “Race Pro1-3” riding modes and the latest generation of Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and DTC function with wheels with 6-axis sensor box.
- Two adjustable characteristic throttle curves for optimum response characteristics. Engine brake with threefold adjustable engine drag torque in “Race Pro” mode.
- Shift Assistant Pro to increase and decrease gears without a clutch. Simple reversibility of the shift pattern for use on the racetrack.
- Launch Control for perfect racing starts and Pit-Lane-Limiter for precise speed in the pit lane.
- Hill Start Control Pro for a convenient start on slopes.
- Trimmed chassis design for use on a racetrack with modified geometry, optimized wheel load distribution and extended adjustment of the swing arm pivot point.
- Optimized inverted front suspension and revised center spring support with Full Floater Pro kinematics.
- ‘M’ brakes for the first time on BMW Motorrad: The M 1000 RR with maximum braking performance for the race track.
- ‘M’ carbon wheels: stylish high-tech components for maximum performance on the racetrack and road.
- Instrument set with 6.5 inch TFT color display, initial animation with ‘M’ logo and OBD interface that can be used with the activation code for the M GPS data logger and the M GPS laptrigger.
- Lightweight ‘M’ battery, USB charging socket on the rear, integrated LED light units and heated handles.